29 May 2009
How to Succeed by Blogging
Tania P. Bardyn [UCLA, Los Angeles, California] has a very good article in the June 2009 issue of Computers in Libraries—Library Blogs: What’s Most Important for Success Within the Enterprise? (pp. 12-16) She asks if library management should support blogs in the enterprise and answers yes—if adequate software and creative librarians are present.
Five factors influence the implementation and eventual success of library blogs:
1. Develop clear strategies, objectives and plans.
2. Understand the value proposition of a blog. (reducing cost of producing marketing materials, reduction of email spam, more efficient communication, increase in site traffic, for example).
3. Incorporate multiple initiatives in the enterprise.
4. Engage library management in continual improvement of the blog.
5. Invest in IT in the library (by installing appropriate and sufficient technology).
The article and its suggestions are worth a read.