12 December 2007

CUSTOMER SERVICE—A NEWBIE GETS IT!

Cynthia Lambert, a MLIS candidate at Rutgers University (New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA) has an excellent post on Library Garden on customer service. In it she writes,
“As I start my career of library work, I pledge the following:
1) No matter what is happening in my personal life, while at work, I will smile at every person I come in contact with.
2) When a patron apologizes for bothering me (as is often the case), I will assure them that it is no bother--I am here to help them and happy to do it.
3) I will remember that the person asking me for assistance has chosen the library over many other resources. I will do everything I can to make them happy about making that choice.
4) When I am not at work, I will promote libraries every chance I get. If anyone tells me of a bad experience, I will encourage them to try again--most librarians are in the business because they want to help, they want to make a difference, they like people.

URL: http://librarygarden.blogspot.com/2007/12/bill-ted-had-it-right.html

1 comment:

Mary C said...

Yes, Judith. This "newbie" definitely "gets it!" That is why we do what we do - because we want to help others locate information, the correct information they are seeking. I wish I could tell you how many times a week a patron apologizes for "bothering" me, and every time I tell those folks exactly the same thing Cynthia wrote - that I am there to help them. This should be every librarian's top priority - to stop whatever one is doing, and help the person seeking information. Thanks for the link; I will have to check it out.